Saturday, February 23, 2013

Feeding the Masses - or just my family ; )

My creative efforts have migrated away from the drawing table and paintbrush. Not through lack of inspiration and ideas, but having a full life of kids, job, house, sports, and a generally crazy schedule does not lend itself to peaceful projects.  However, it does push me into other directions - like the kitchen.

We like to save money, and with teenagers, the best way to do that is not eating at restaurants. The boys do like to be fed, and fed well, so I've become a magician with a few pound of ground turkey, cumin, diced tomatoes, and a dream. Everybody wins!

This morning is a Saturday, so it was pancakes and strawberries. We live in a farming(ish) community in Georgia, so I can get Florida strawberries for cheap in the winter, and pick our own in the spring. YUM!!!

Today's Recipe - Heart Smart Pancakes. Taken right from the box of Bisquick Heart Smart Mix

2 cups pancake mix
1.25 cups 1% milk
1 egg
2 Tbsp sugar*
1 tsp vanilla*

*mix in at the same time you mix in the egg

I add a little water to the batter, because I like it a bit thinner - so I can draw with it on the griddle.

Pour on griddle in quarter cup amounts - or make crazy wiggly things, these are pancakes.
It's never serious when making pancakes.
Cook til bubbles break on the surface, flip, cook til golden.

The boys like theirs with sugar free syrup, but I'm a butter and strawberries girl. Happy all day!

The recipe of the week is Coffee Spice Pork Loin!  No pictures, because it disappeared so quickly, but I'll make this one again, so there is hope for the future.

I will say this, I have never cooked a pork loin before. Always see them in the store, but since I didn't know exactly what to do with it, I didn't pick them up. This time, the sale was too good, so I got brave. Trekked around AllRecipes.com, my best go-to site for recipes, and chose the rubs with ingredients I thought would be good.

Coffee Spice Pork Loin

2.5 lb lean boneless pork loin

Rub:
1.5 cups brown sugar, broken up
2 Tbsp ground coffee (pick a medium simple roast, for heaven's sake, no vanilla!)
1.5 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground fennel
1.5 tsp smoked paprika
1.5 tsp kosher salt
1 Tbsp dry mustard flour (ground mustard)
1.5 tsp crushed red pepper
1.5 tsp ground cumin
1.5 tsp chili powder

Mix all ingredients together in a shallow dish that is large enough to hold the biggest portion of the loin. Make sure the brown sugar is broken up and distributed throughout the mixture.

Once mixed well, roll loin in rub until well covered, make sure to get it into the crevices. Place on large piece of plastic wrap and push on more of the mixture. Wrap loin up and put in the refrigerator for an hour or so.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Put a bit of olive oil and any remaining rub on a shallow roasting pan, place loin on pan. Use a probe thermometer if you have one, since ovens vary so much, placing it into the thickest part of the meat without touching fat.  Cook for 15 - 20 minutes per pound, to an internal temperature of 160.

I cooked mine for an hour and ten, and probably should have turned it once to get a better crust, but it was nice and moist. I had also used white sugar, and that was not a wise choice. Too sweet.

Remove from oven and let it rest for 15 minutes before slicing.

Enjoy!

I have lots of recipes, and will be posting them every so often, so please let me know if you try any of them, and if you changed it. Always looking for new ways to do anything!

2 comments:

  1. Instead of following your recipes, may I just come over for breakfast? :D

    ReplyDelete